Reporting to the Executive Director, The Financial Controller of GRFN, the position maximizes return on financial assets by establishing financial policy, procedures, control, and reporting system, and is the risk manager for the corporation.
• Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
• Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
• Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits, providing information to external auditors.
• Maximizes return, and limits risk, on cash by minimizing cash balances, making investments.
• Prepares budgets by establishing schedules, collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data, recommending plans.
• Achieves budget objectives by scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, initiating corrective action
• Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
• Complies with legislation that affects and/or governs First Nations and advising senior administration and council on needed actions.
• Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees, following up on work results
• Maintains financial staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees
• Maintains financial staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring and appraising job results.
• Comply with Generally Accepted Accounting Policies.
• Provides leadership and support to accounts payable and accounts receivable departments.
• Manages the preparation of payroll for personnel.
• Provides risk management to the corporation.
• Communicating all matters of importance to appropriate members of the organization in an accurate and timely fashion.
• Communicating in a professional manner.
• Manifesting superior integrity, an awareness and an adherence to high standards of ethical behavior.
CONTROLLER SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• University Degree in Finance Related Field, CPA (CA, CMA, CGA) certification or MBA will be considered an asset
• Required five years related job experience in an organization of similar size including accounting and financial management experience
• Demonstrated knowledge of budgeting, reporting, monitoring, forecasting, analyzing financial and non-financial data.
• Managing processes, financial software, developing standards, audit, accounting, corporate finance, tracking budget expenses, financial skills analyzing information, developing budgets, performance management.
• Demonstrated sensitivity to and knowledge of the First Nations cultural values and traditions
• Stamina, sensitivity, and strong negotiation and advocacy skills
• Self-motivated and self-directed