Goodhood is recruiting a Finance Manager. The successful candidate will be rewarded with exposure to a fast-paced, and entrepreneurial team, including the founders and directors, offering the chance to make a real and significant impact in the development of this cult brand.
About the role
This is the lead finance role, reporting directly to the Founders and Directors, and will manage one team member. Involved with all aspects of the finance for the business, giving the right individual excellent exposure and insight into an independent, fast-growing, multi-channel retail business. This will involve full ownership of management information, bookkeeping, reporting, planning and analysis for the whole company. The hands on aspect of this role will be complimented by commercial exposure, as you will be supporting the Directors in presenting financial and commercial insight into the business strategy.
What you will get in return
This is a phenomenal opportunity to be involved with an excellent young retailer that is really picking up momentum, allowing the right candidate to get excellent experience within an entrepreneurial retail environment. There is a chance to make a significant impact as the business continues to grow. There is opportunity for the right candidate to grow within the business and grow the finance function under them along the way.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Ownership of the Goodhood Finance function, including ownership of the General Ledger, Accounts Payable function and Treasury function
- Ensure the smooth running of finance team and management of one team member
- Maintaining a robust control environment, financial controls to be continuously reviewed and improved across all areas of finance
- Support the founders and directors in all financial aspects of the business
- Support the operational teams with relevant analysis and KPI reporting to ensure trading is optimised across channels, including provision of relevant sales reporting
- Preparation of management accounts reporting pack to include P&Ls, Balance Sheet, sales and cost analysis and commentary on a monthly basis
- Stock reconciliations to ensure stock and cost of sales are accurately reported, including the management of physical stock counts and stock loss reporting and accounting entries
- Full ownership of the trial balance ensuring journals are posted accurately and are reviewed against budgets/forecasts monthly
- Monthly meetings with department heads to discuss departmental P&Ls and variance analysis, ensuring a focus on cost controls and budget management
- Management of budgeting & forecasting & 5 year plans, including P&L, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow and Capital Expenditure Preparation of seasonal stock budgets to ensure monthly sales targets can be achieved
- Manage currency exposure with 3rd party provider to support the Buying and Merchandising team by setting and achieving a buying exchange rate to ensure margin is protected from currency fluctuation
- Key point of contact for 3rd party accountants who support with the statutory accounts filings and other company secretarial matters and submissions as required by Companies House
- Review of monthly payroll including liaison with 3rd party payroll providers to ensure smooth running of all payroll matters
- Cash flow management, tracking actual cash flow movements against budgeted cash flow movements and highlighting issues in a timely manner
- Review and submission of all statutory filings including quarterly VAT return
- Work with 3rd party tax consultants to ensure international VAT obligations are met
- Continual assessment and improvement of the analysis and reporting provided by the finance team to ensure it is fit for purpose and anticipates new requirements
- Liaison with IT to deliver enhancements to reporting and analysis utilising the Data Warehouse to enhance and automate reports
- Other ad hoc planning and analysis as required, in particular to support the needs of directors and other business functions
The Ideal Candidate
What you will need to succeed
You will need to be a fully qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA) with experience of a fashion/lifestyle retail business. The right candidate will need to be adaptable and organised as the role has a broad scope within a fast-paced environment. It will require a driven pro-active individual who is technically adept and able to provide leadership skills to the business and team. You will need to be able to work autonomously and confidently use your own initiative. The candidate will also need to be a confident individual as you will be dealing closely with senior executives of the business.
- Minimum of 3-4 years of experience working in a progressive finance team within the retail industry is essential
- High calibre individual with positive and challenging attitude who is able to use their own initiative
- Qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA) with strong technical accounting knowledge
- Experience with Xero or other similar cloud-based tool
- Strong analytical skills and great attention to detail
- A leader with gravitas and adaptable managerial style
- Advanced excel skills and prior experience of working with high volume of data
- Ability to maintain composure and work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive and adaptable, able to grow and develop with the company
- Excellent communication skills with all stakeholders at all levels
Founded in 2007 Goodhood is an award winning multi-brand retailer selling over 200 brands across menswear, womenswear, lifestyle and cosmetics. Goodhood has formed a cult following through actively creating a culturally relevant experience, which is influenced by the flow of culture rather than the trends of the fashion industry. This young and dynamic retail business has a Store as well as its Studio and Head Office in Shoreditch, London. Since launching, the business has experienced exceptional year-on-year growth and now ships to 20 plus countries around the world. The founders are investing in the business to drive continued multi-channel growth, including the potential stores in new international markets, over the next 5 years.