This is a key role with a prestigious independent book and magazine publisher. The Finance Manager reports to the Managing Director of Granta Publications.
The role includes both financial and management accounting, and is ideal for a hard-working, ambitious accountant who is commercially minded and looking to apply their technical expertise to maximise the potential of a dynamic and creative organisation. It will suit someone who is equally comfortable with analysis and with detail. The role offers career progression, and the scope to develop systems and reporting.
The Finance Manager is supported by the Finance Officer.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Preparation of monthly and year-end accounts
- Oversight of purchase and sales ledgers and credit control
- Preparation of year-end accounts and information for the annual audit
- Presentation of financial results to the Management Board
- Business planning, including supporting the annual budget process, monitoring of performance against budgets, and monitoring the performance of individual titles against forecast.
- Maintenance of financial systems and procedures.
- Ad hoc analytical reports on any aspect of Granta’s publishing to aid decision making.
- Managing relationships with banks, and account management to ensure sufficient funds are available to carry out Granta’s activities.
- Fulfilling accounting and reporting requirements to both internal and external bodies including HMRC.
- Maintaining accurate financial accounting records for Granta Publications and Granta Trust.
- Development of financial systems and procedures.
- Setting up of new financial management and reporting systems as required.
- The production of bi-annual author royalty statements and payment of royalties due.
Required qualities and skills
- You should be educated to degree level and hold a recognised professional accounting qualification.
- Substantial relevant experience, ideally in a field with some relevance to publishing
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong communication and team-working skills, with the ability to build good relations, both internally and externally.
- A self-starter, capable of working independently.
- Capable of rapid and accurate turn around on a high workload and multiple tasks.
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of one of the most independent-minded and prestigious literary publishers in the UK
We offer a blend of home and office working. To apply, please email your CV and covering letter to [email protected]
Granta is committed to employing a diverse workforce, and we welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and with different kinds of life experience. We encourage those who are under-represented within the industry to consider applying for a role at our company.
The closing date is Monday 11th July but early applications are welcome. We will interview suitable candidates as they apply.