Purpose of the role:
The Exchange is a community owned and led organisation that is on a remarkable trajectory, transforming the landscape of craft and community production locally and on a national level. Formed in 2017, we have already saved, repaired and fitted out (nearly!) Erith’s old library through the delivery of a £2M National Heritage Lottery Project; welcomed over 30,000 visitors; are delivering an incredible community-led programme including workshops, festivals, exhibitions, live music, theatre, markets and more; planted and nurtured a garden designed by 2023 RHS Chelsea Gold Medalist garden designer Sarah Price, and established a successful Café and Restaurant.
Our success as an organisation that affects real change has been recognised by numerous funders including Arts Council England who recently awarded The Exchange with National Portfolio Organisation status. The recent funding support has enabled us to restructure the organisation and expand the vision. The role of Deputy Director is a pivotal part of this process.
Working alongside the Directors and the Deputy Director (Bookstore) you will be involved in all aspects of The Exchange’s development and growth and will lead the operational team at The Exchange. The operational team is responsible everything The Exchange does outside of the Craft Workshops and The Bookstore. This includes commercial streams such as retail, venue hire and events, our engagement strategies and plans, marketing and
communications, finance, operations and building conservation.
We are looking for an ambitious, dynamic, and experienced individual to take this key role in the organisation, providing the support the team needs to grow in their roles and meet the ambition of the organisation. The Deputy Director will work closely with the Strategic Director and the Creative Director on the strategic direction and business planning of The Exchange and will be responsible for the effective internal operation of the organisation, embracing its administrative, facilities, financial, building conservation, personnel, and legal
The post holder takes the lead in planning and implementing improvements in all areas of the Deputy Director’s responsibility, as well as anticipating and solving problems, managing staff and delegating work on a day-to-day basis. The Deputy Director is responsible for financial reporting and strategic financial management and works closely with the Directors on financial planning for the organisation.
We are extremely ambitious for the growth of The Exchange over the next few years we are seeking a Deputy Director with the vision, drive and experience to help us take this exciting next step.
KEY TASKS + RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy, Planning + leadership
- Work with the Trustees and Directors on the overall strategic planning for The Exchange and development of the organisation; with the Directors, oversee the planning and delivery of all aspects of the work of the organisation.
- Work with the Operational Team as well as wider staff team on the development and implementation of The Exchange’s business plan, Sales & Marketing strategy/plan and engagement plan, including the evaluation framework required for internal review and external reporting.
- Oversee the care of our heritage building, working with staff to improve building management, and working with the Directors on plans for its long-term maintenance and conservation.
- Ensure The Exchange is an inclusive and anti-racist organisation with its diversity and inclusion aims and objectives actively present in every area of the organisation; facilitate the ongoing monitoring, review and development of The Exchange’s Equality and Diversity policy, taking lead responsibility for relevant areas.
- Work with the Directors and Managers to ensure the organisation operates according to best practice as a minimum standard; work within The Exchange and the wider sectors to develop and improve sector standards.
- Deputise for the Directors.
- Ensure the legal responsibilities of The Exchange are met with regards to charity, company, employment, health and safety, and equal opportunities laws and liaise with solicitors as required.
- Assess risks and liabilities and ensure appropriate mitigations are in place, including insurance.
- Attend relevant Board and Sub-committee meetings as required.
- ▪On occasion, act as Secretary at Board meetings.
Operations and administration
- With the Participation + Operations Manager, take responsibility for the management of the facilities, building and “visitor service” functions
- Have overall administrative responsibility for The Exchange including supervising staff and office systems
- Produce, update and ensure implementation of policies including: Health & Safety, Equality & Diversity, TOIL, sickness absence, environmental, data protection and safeguarding etc.
- Oversee production of the Events programmes, and other communications materials (including online), ensuring they are in line with our ethos and timely, supported by Participation + Operations Manager and Sales and Marketing Manager
- Oversee and support the Participation + Operations Manager on the general running of the office and building maintenance, conservation and day-to-day operations.
- Prepare, in conjunction with the Directors and other colleagues, detailed annual and multi-year budgets for The Exchange.
- Work with the Manager Team to ensure that budgets are prepared for all areas of our work.
- Work with the Finance Manager to ensure bookkeeping systems and accounting records are maintained accurately.
- Working with the Finance Manager, prepare end of year accounts and annual reports in compliance with Financial Conduct Authority requirements, and oversee the annual audit including liaising with auditors;
- Ensure that the necessary returns are completed on time.
- Take the financial lead on our trading activity including workshops, retail, café and venue hire, working closely with Directors, Managers and Bookstore Team.
- Oversee the Finance Manager/Accountant to implement payment of purchase invoices and expenses, issuing of sales invoices, HMRC payments, salaries, credit control, banking and relationship with the bank.
- With the Directors, plan and develop The Exchange’s staff structures and remuneration policies.
- Work with the Directors and Managers to maintain and develop practices that engender a positive working culture and high levels of employee engagement.
- Lead on the development of The Exchange’s personnel strategies, including recruitment, staff training, development and appraisal.
- Oversee the implementation of The Exchange’s personnel strategies.
- Explore the potential for and feasibility of introducing a 4-day week.
- Ensure that The Exchange’s policies and practice meet with statutory and appropriate good practice requirements.
- Line Manage Finance Manager, Sales + Marketing Manager, Participation + Operations Manager and Garden Room Manager
- Work with the Directors and other staff in preparing funding bids and preparing returns as required by those bodies, particularly contributing in terms of finance, personnel and governance.
- Be inclusive and anti-racist, and operate in accordance with the organisation’s policies
- Take responsibility for own administration, devise and implement appropriate processes and procedures to achieve agreed objectives.
- Lead on weekly staff meetings, report on relevant areas of work and disseminate information as required.
- Maintain a commitment to training and professional development.
- Be an advocate and effective representative of The Exchange at external events.
- Have the ability to work evenings and weekends, for which TOIL (time off in lieu) will be given.
- Act as a keyholder as appropriate and required.
- Undertake other duties as may be reasonably required.